Engineering in Panama
Winter Break 2018
December 22, 2017 - February 5, 2018
January 2-21, 2018
Ciudad de Saber is located just outside Panama City within walking distance of the Miraflores Locks on the Panama Canal, one of the modern engineering wonders of the world.
This course is one of many that you will take towards your degree in Civil Engineering. Each of our courses is designed as part of your career development in the civil engineering industry. Program outcomes are intended to provide a broad base of knowledge for your career. However, each course in the curriculum emphasizes particular aspects of that overall body of knowledge.
All participants are required register in BOTH of the following SDSU courses, offered through the College of Extended Studies (CES):
NOTE: Students will need to complete online work & assigments before and after the dates abroad.
- CIVE 465: Foundation Engineering & Earth Retaining Structures (3 units) (Prerequisite - CIVE 462 Geo-technical Engineering)
- CIVE 530: Open Channel Hydraulics (3 units) (Prerequisite - CIVE 444 Applied Hydraulics)
Included in the Program Fee:
- Madden Dam
- Gatun Dam, Spillway and Stilling Basin
- Miraflores Locks
- Miraflores Dam
- Panama Canal Museum
- Panama Canal Expansion (Agua Clara and Cocoli Locks)
- La Tavida waterfall
- Portobelo (Historic Spanish Town) & Iglesia de San Felipe (Black Christ Church)
- Fort San Lorenzo (Historic 16th Century Spanish Fort)
- La Tavida waterfall at Cerro la Vieja (Natural Wonder)
- Casco Viejo (Historic Old Panama City)
Not Included in the Program Fee (Optional):
- Caribbean Sea/Atlantic Ocean (Ocean Diving)
- Isla Contadora and Pacific Ocean (Ocean Diving & Fishing)
PROGRAM FEE, REFUND POLICY, AND FUNDING INFORMATION
$ 797 Deposit due with application
$1,400 Second program payment paid directly to our partner AEA by Nov. 17, 2017
$1,920 Tuition due with course registration between Dec. 5-15, 2017
$4,117 Total Program Fee
Included in Program Fee:
- Medical Repatriation Insurance
- Activities as listed above
- Some meals
Not Included in Program Fee:
- Some meals
- Visa and passport fees
- Personal expenses
Program Costs Refund:
- The application deposit is non-refundable for withdrawals after October 15, 2017*
- For the second payment, withdrawals after October 15 but before November 17 are subject to a 50% cancellation fee
- No refunds will be issued for withdrawals after November 17, 2017
Course Tuition Refund:
* Withdrawals are effective on the date that the CES Faculty-Led Program staff receives written notification from you, the student. Email notification is acceptable.
Funding & Scholarship Information:
PREREQUISITES AND ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
Visit the CES Study Abroad
website for more information about financial aid, scholarships, military and veterans benefits, and other funding sources.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0
- Open to SDSU students, students at other colleges and universities and the general public
- SDSU students cannot be on academic probation (less than 2.0 GPA) or disciplinary probation (expulsion, judicial, or suspension) at the time of application and/or at the time of course registration. The standard CES refund policy for study abroad applies if you are found to be on probation after applying to the program.
- Minimum age to participate is 18
- After applying and being accepted into the program, all participants must complete BOTH a mandatory pre-departure orientation sponsored by the College of Extended Studies (CES) as well as a program-specific orientation(s) with their faculty leader(s) prior to departure. Details about both will be sent after acceptance into the program.
Winter Break 2018: Program Full!
This program is full for winter break 2018. If you are interested in a possible future term add you name to inquiry list below.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
- Click HERE for a list of Frequently Asked Questions about College of Extended Studies (CES) study abroad programs.
- If you would like more information about the application and registration process or have general questions, please contact Amanda Chamberlain, Study Abroad Advisor, in the College of Extended Studies, Faculty-Led Study Abroad office: email@example.com, (619) 594-0540.