London Summer Program
Summer 2018 - Application Now Open!
May 17-June 16, 2018
May 17-June 16, 2018
All participants are required to register for one course from section one and one course from section two for a total of 6 units of SDSU credit:
Section 1: British Life and Culture
This multidisciplinary course serves as the anchor of the study programme in London, offering students an opportunity to place what they are learning in their other courses into a larger, contemporary context. It also enables students to appreciate more of what they observe during their stay in Britain in regard to the underlying history, themes, and institutions of the UK.
- GEN S 450: British Life and Culture (3 units)
- ENG 798: Special Study (3 units)
- MALAS 798: Special Study? (3 units) - Graduate Students Only
Section 2: Into the London Eye: British Visual/Viral Culture Now
Brace yourself for a unique Study Abroad seminar--a kinetic, always evolving class, where we will devour as much of the cutting-edge art, film, literature, photography, theatre, and club-life of the planet's greatest city, London, as is humanly possible. In the four weeks that we spend here on this glorious, peculiar island, we will become curious and savvy 21st century cultural anthropologists as our field work sends us to all parts of London and beyond. In less than a month, we will become as one with the flesh and fabric of an incredible urban body, allowing sensual visual/viral elements of British culture (visual and performative) to infect our minds and change the way we see (and think, and write).
- ANTH 439: Culture Through Film? (3 units)
- ENG 493: Film and Literature? (3 units)
- CLT 470: Folklore? (3 units)
- MALAS 600A: Cultural Studies? (3 units) -Graduate Students Only
Accommodations are primarily based in historic Kensington, just a few minutes’ walk from the Foundation House Study Center. Student residential buildings in the Kensington area are usually mid- to late-nineteenth century converted townhouses. Bedrooms are fully furnished. The majority of students live in double-occupancy rooms, while some live in triple or quadruple rooms.
Common kitchens are equipped with utensils such as cookware, silverware, and dishes. Self-pay laundry facilities are available at the Metrogate House and Manson Place residence for use by all students. There is wireless Internet access in all residences, with a 20-station PC Computer and Study Lab in Metrogate Residence, open to FIE students 24/7. Common living areas in each residence allow students to interact frequently with each other.
- Half-day London Bus Tour
- Theatre Production
- Lunch on Brick Lane at Bangladeshi restaurant
- Day-trip to Oxford
- Christ Church College
- Harry Potter Filming Sights
- Multiple Culture and City Walks which include visits to:
- Parliament Hill
- Hampstead Heath
- Tower of London
- Regents Canal-Camden Lock
- Shoreditch Street Art Tour
- Tour of Parliament
- Westminster Abbey
- Trafalgar Square
- National Gallery
- The British Museum
- Multiple CineTreks which include visits to various museums, film screenings, plays, musical productions and markets.
PROGRAM FEE, REFUND POLICY, AND FUNDING INFORMATION
$616 Deposit due to Extended Studies with application
$4,195 Second program payment due to our partner FIE by April 2, 2018
$1,920 Tuition due with course registration between April 15-25, 2018
$6,731 Total Program Fee*
*If 15 or more students enroll by March 15, 2018, our partner institution FIE will offer a discount of $180 per student. If 21 students or more enroll in the program by March 15, 2018, our partner institution FIE will offer a discount of $305 per student. Any discount will be applied to the second payment due to FIE by April 2, 2018.
Included in Program Fee:
- Activities as listed above
- London transport pass (Oyster Card) for Zones 1 and 2 for the duration of the program
- 24/7 onsite support
- International medical and repatriation insurance
Not Included in Program Fee:
- International airfare
- Airport pickup and dropoff
- Passport and visa fee
- Personal expenses
Program Costs Refund:
- $616 application deposit is non-refundable for withdrawals after March 15, 2018*.
- Students who withdraw 30 days or less prior to May 17, 2018 will receive a refund of $500 of the program fee.
- Students who withdraw on or after May 17, 2018, no refund will be issued.
Course Tuition Refund:
Refunds for course tuition follow the College of Extended Studies (CES) standard refund policy
* Withdrawals are effective on the date that the CES Faculty-Led Program staff receives written notification from you, the student. Email notification is acceptable.
Funding & Scholarship Information:
PREREQUISITES AND ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
Visit the CES Study Abroad
website for more information about financial aid, scholarships, military and veterans benefits, and other funding sources.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0
- Open to SDSU students, students at other colleges and universities and the general public
- SDSU students cannot be on academic probation (less than 2.0 GPA) or disciplinary probation (expulsion, judicial, or suspension) at the time of application and/or at the time of course registration. The standard CES refund policy for study abroad applies if you are found to be on probation after applying to the program.
- Minimum age to participate is 18
- After applying and being accepted into the program, all participants must complete BOTH a mandatory pre-departure orientation sponsored by the College of Extended Studies (CES) as well as a program-specific orientation(s) with their faculty leader(s) prior to departure. Details about both will be sent after acceptance into the program.
Summer 2018: Apply by March 15!
Programs close once the maximum capacity is reached, so don't wait to apply!
- Review the admission and prerequisite requirements and refund policies above. If you apply without meeting the pre-requisites, you will be withdrawn and are still subject to the same refund policies (see above).
- Click on the red "Apply Now" button below to access the College of Extended Studies (CES) online application. Make sure to read the instructions and click "Create A New Account" if you have never applied to a CES program. NOTE: Your SDSU WebPortal password will not work for this account. If you have issues with the log in process, contact the CES Registration office during regular business hours at 619-594-5152.
- Follow the instructions to complete the online application. Pay your program deposit, as listed in "Payment Schedule" above, during the last part of the online application. NOTE: Your spot in the program is only reserved after you successfully submit your payment online.
- An advisor in the CES Faculty-led Study Abroad office will then email you with further instructions within about a week at the address that you indicated in your online application, so make sure to check your inbox and spam mail folders!