Liberal Studies in Ecuador
Spring Break 2018 - Application CLOSED. Add your name to the Inquiry List, see below
March 24-April 1, 2018
March 24-April 1, 2018
NOTE: Program information listed below is for Spring Break 2018. Information is subject to change for 2019. Add your name to the Inquiry list, below, if you are interested in attending the 2019 program.
This program offers international experiences in Ecuador. Participants will interact with educators and students in Ecuador. Additionally, participants will engage with unique aspects of the area. Various excursions throughout the area will also enhance the learning experience. Excursions include visits to the equator monument and museum, butterfly farm, chocolate farm, Peguche waterfall, Otavalo market, boat ride at Lake Cuichocha, river tubing in Mindo, etc.
View an ITINERARY
for spring break 2018
This program will take place in the ecologically and culturally diverse country of Ecuador. Located in South America, Ecuador offers a diverse landscape encompassing the Amazon jungle, Andean highlands, and the wildlife-rich Galápagos Islands. Participants will visit and/or stay in the cities of Quito, Mindo, San Clemente, and Otavalo.
HOUSING AND MEALS
Lodging provided in both local hotel/lodges and homestay with a local host family. A total of 20 meals is included in the student fee. No meals are included on Day 1 (day of arrival). Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are included daily, except for lunch on March 30.
- Tour of historic Quito with Theater group
- Visit Mitad del Mundo - Equator monument and interactive museum
- Visit a butterfly garden, orchid garden, hummingbird observation area, river tubing, and a chocolate tour in Mindo
- Learn to embroider with local women in San Clemente
- Visit local hot springs and hike to Cubilche Lake in San Clemente
- Service project with community members in San Clemente
- Walk to Peguche waterfall in Otavalo
- Explore the local market and take a boat ride in Otavalo
: If you are interested in this program and are a student with a disability, please contact Dr. Loh-Hagan (see 'For More Information' below) to discuss any barriers in Belize that may impact your ability to participate.
All participants are required to register for the following SDSU College of Extended Studies (CES) “Special Sessions
” course. After you apply and are officially enrolled in the program, you will receive instructions on how to register for the course from the College of Extended Studies.
HINT for SDSU students
- ED 450: LIBERAL STUDIES ECUADOR (1 unit of SDSU resident credit)
- This course fulfills the Liberal Studies international graduation requirement
: Log in to your WebPortal
account and check your Degree Evaluation
to see if the course fulfills your graduation requirements.
Otherwise, meet with an academic advisor to discuss your options; click HERE
for more information.
Professor Lisa Carney-Farwell,
Faculty, School of Teacher Education, College of Education, SDSU
PROGRAM FEE, REFUND POLICY, AND FUNDING INFORMATION
- For course content, requirements, and specific information about the program contact Dr. Virginia Loh-Hagan, Director of the Liberal Studies Program, at
$1,696 Deposit due with application to the College of Extended Studies (CES)
Tuition due with course registration to CES between Feb. 20 and March 2
$2,061 Total Program Payment
Included in the Program Fee:
- One unit of SDSU resident credit
- Travel Medical & Repatriation Insurance
- Local guide
- Private in-country transportation
- Airport pick up and drop off
- Accommodations (as outlined in the final itinerary)
- Meals (as outlined in final itinerary)
- Activities, Entrance fees, and related tips
- All group transportation within Ecuador
- Tips to Guide & Driver
Not included in the Program Fee:
- Roundtrip airfare to Ecuador - Students will book their own round-trip flights to Quito.
- Please book your flight in February after receiving notification that the trip has been confirmed, meaning there are enough participants to confirm the trip.
- Passport and visa fees (visit Students Abroad for more information)
- Vaccinations, if necessary (visit CDC website for more information)
- Personal travel insurance
- Meals not included on final itinerary
- Food and meals purchased from outside vendors
- Personal Expenses
Program Costs Refund:
- The withdrawal is effective on the date that the CES Faculty-Led Program staff receives written notification of withdrawal from you, the student. Email notification is acceptable.
- For this program, the following cancellation and refund policy applies:
- Before November 24, 2017: A $400 cancellation fee plus any nonrefundable deposits or payments made by EcoTeach on behalf of the participant will be imposed.
- November 25, 2017, to January 23, 2018: A $600 cancellation fee plus any nonrefundable deposits or payments made by EcoTeach on behalf of the participant will be imposed.
- After January 23, 2108: no refund is available.
Course Tuition Refund:
Funding & Scholarship Information:
PREREQUISITES AND ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
- Visit the CES Study Abroad website for more information about financial aid, scholarships, military and veterans benefits, and other funding sources.
Spring Break 2018 - Application CLOSED. Maximum Capacity Reached
Spring Break or Summer 2019 - Add your name to the Inquiry list
- Total cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above
- Open to all majors, however, Liberal Studies students strongly encouraged to apply
- SDSU students cannot be on academic probation (less than 2.0 GPA) or disciplinary probation (expulsion, judicial, or suspension) at the time of application and/or at the time of course registration. The standard CES refund policy for study abroad applies if you are found to be on probation after applying to the program.
- Minimum age to participate is 18
- After applying and being accepted into the program, all participants must complete BOTH a mandatory pre-departure orientation sponsored by the College of Extended Studies (CES) as well as a program-specific orientation(s) with their faculty leader(s) prior to departure. Details about both will be sent after acceptance into the program.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
If you are interested in attending this program in 2019--which will most likely be offered in summer 2019--please add your name to the Inquiry List, below, and you will receive email updates when available.
- Click HERE for a list of Frequently Asked Questions about College of Extended Studies (CES) study abroad programs.
- For course content, requirements, and specific information about the program contact Dr. Virginia Loh-Hagan, Director of the Liberal Studies Program, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you would like more information about the application and registration process or have general questions, please contact Mr. Phil Hoog, Study Abroad Advisor, in the College of Extended Studies, Faculty-Led Study Abroad office: email@example.com, (619) 594-0638.