International Business Exchange Program
Universidad del Pais Vasco / Euskal Herriko Unibertsitatea (UPV/EHU)
The Universidad del Pais Vasco is located in the most economically prosperous region Spain stretching along the Atlantic coast of northern Spain. The people of the Basque Country are the custodians of one of Europe's most ancient languages and cultures. Not only do they have a high esteem for tradition, but they are also remarkably forward-looking and have established a highly regarded industrial sector.
The region's success in regards to scientific and technological progress is reinforced by the UPV/EHU’s vibrant 30-year-old institution with 45,000 students, 5,000 world-class academic staff and state-of-the-art facilities. The university has campuses in three provinces of the autonomous community: Biscay Campus (in Leioa, Bilbao, Portugalete and Barakaldo), Gipuzkoa Campus (in San Sebastián and Eibar), and Álava Campus (in Vitoria-Gasteiz).
City Highlights: http://www.ehu.es/en/web/nazioarteko-harremanak/en-the-basque-country
Arriving by air:
- The city airport (called Foronda) is located 9 km from Vitoria city center. Taxis make the trip to the city for approximately 15 euros. Spanish Airport Authority, AENA.
- Bilbao airport (Loiu) is the busiest airport in the region. If you fly to Bilbao, you can take a shuttle from the airport to the bus terminal in Bilbao (shuttles run every 30 minutes to TERMIBUS). Buses run daily from TERMIBUS to Vitoria-Gasteiz. Check timetables at http://www.autobuseslaunion.com/en/. Last bus departs at 10 pm on weekdays, earlier on weekends!
- Landing at Santander-Parayas airport: Buses run to Vitoria-Gasteiz on a daily basis (2h30min ride, approximate fare 10 euros). Check timetables at www.alsa.es.
International Business majors must enroll at the Faculty of Economics and Business (Campus Bizkaia). All courses must be taught in Spanish
Fall Semester: late-August to late-January
Spring Semester: late-January to late-May
The following faculties/centers offer courses taught in English:
Available list of study programs:
(Information Coming Soon!)
Academic Ratio= 2:1
6 UPV ECTS credits= 3 SDSU units
Minimum passing grade
Language of Instruction
- Courses are taught in Spanish.
- Some degree programs also offer courses taught in English.
- Students whom wish to pursue courses taught in Spanish must have completed two upper-division Spanish language courses (300+) prior to departure in order to qualify for the exchange program. All applicants must meet the language prerequisite by the end of the semester prior to departure.
- Language Proficiency Recommendation Report must be submitted in the Aztecs Abroad application to verify language ability.
- Students studying abroad in the Fall term are provided with a free of cost intensive Spanish language course.
Exchange program participants pay their regular full-time tuition/registration fees to SDSU to participate in the exchange program. Students are responsible for all other additional expenses such as passport, visa, airfare, housing, meals, books, etc. Refer to the budget sheet on blackboard for more information.
Housing and Meals
Housing/room & board expenses are not part of the SDSU exchange program. Students must arrange housing via their host institution or independently.
UPV/EHU offers help centers in each campus to assist international students with housing support, information on the city and campus, and any other logistical questions that may arise upon your arrival: http://www.ehu.eus/en/web/nazioarteko-harremanak/en-accommodation
All participants must purchase the comprehensive CSU Comprehensive FTIP Insurance. Students will need to pay via SDSU Student Account Services. Approximately $300 for one-semester.
Exchange participants are responsible for purchasing airfare. Hold-off on purchasing airfare until a Letter of Acceptance is issued by your host university (one-semester prior to going abroad). The Letter of Acceptance is issued typically 4-6 weeks after students apply to the host university and will contain official program dates.
Student Visa Requirement
U.S.A. citizens are required to obtain a Student Visa to study abroad in Spain for one semester or longer. The visa process varies by nationality, length of program, and consulate of jurisdiction.
Spanish Consulate of Los Angeles Student Visa Requirements:
SDSU (1 year prior)
International Business majors must apply one-year prior to anticipated term abroad via Aztecs Abroad by clicking "Apply Now" on the button above.
Host University (1 semester prior)
After being approved by SDSU, students will also need to complete the application process for their host university. Students will receive an email with application instructions after the add/drop deadline (titled Post Decision).
International Business majors refer to SDSU blackboard for eligibility criteria
International Business majors: apply 1 year prior to intended term abroad
December 17th for the Fall Semester
May 12th for the Spring Semester
All other majors: apply 1 semester prior to intended term abroad.
February 20th for Fall Semester
September 20th for Spring Semester
Planning Your Stay Links/Page:
Partner University Fact Sheet (Student Exchange Programs):
Provides useful campus information and details: http://www.ehu.eus/documents/2099535/2107373/UPVEHU+fact+sheet
Erasmus Plus Grant:
Grants available funded by the Erasmus + programme of the European Union!
- The University of the Basque Country (UPV/EHU) in Spain has been granted Erasmus+ grants effective the 2015-2016 academic year. One grant will be available for the 2017-2018 academic year.
- The Erasmus+ grants offer
- Students: Total: € 4,300 total. €3,200 living stipend & travel cost stipend €1100
- Students use the "Apply Now" button to open a program application. You will automatically be considered!