IVC Summer Nursing Program
This course meets during Summer Session 1 (May 22-June 30)
In order to participate in this program you:
- Must be enrolled in GEN S 350 RN to BSN International Experience at the Imperial Valley Campus during Summer Session 1.
- Be in possession of a valid passport book prior to the first travel day.
- Complete this on-line application Before April 15.
Students participate in a course offered by the Nursing Center at SDSU-Imperial Valley Campus. The program will take place in Calexico, California and Mexicali, Mexico during summer 2017. Students that have been approved to participate by the Center will enroll in GEN S 350 (1 unit) during Session I of the summer term. This program consist of meetings on campus as well as 10 day trips to Mexicali, Mexico. In addition to cultural activities, students will visit hospitals and medical facilities for guided tours and lectures on Mexican health care system. The field trips are vital for attaining an insight of the medical field and culture in other countries.
Dr. Luis Franco, a physician based in Mexico, will provide instruction and guide the program. Dr. Franco has several years of experience working with the nursing students of SDSU-IV to complete their international experience. This program is offered in cooperation with our partner institution, la Universidad Autónoma de Baja California (UABC).
Course: Summer session 1 (May 22-June 30)
Week 1: Class on campus- students meet with Dr. Franco for 3 hours
Week 2: May 29, May 31 in Mexicali
Week 3: June 5, June 7 in Mexicali
Week 4: June 12, June 14 in Mexicali
Week 5: June 19, June 21 in Mexicali
Week 6: June 26 for final day in Mexicali
Students visit some or all of the following sites in Mexicali (subject to change):
- The Radio University of UABC
- Nursing School of UABC
- Health Science at UABC
- Escuela de Artes Plasticas UABC
- Casa de la Cultura
- Sol Del Nino Museum
- Casa del Abuelo
- Students pay normal SDSU tuition to enroll in the course.
- A valid passport is required to cross the border.
- Upon completion of the online application, students will automatically be enrolled in the SDSU Foreign Travel Insurance Program. Coverage is provided for designated travel days only. The insurance policy is required and costs $60. Students will be billed through their SDSU student account in May.
Students will be given the address of each site visit in Mexicali. They are responsible to arrive to the designated meeting point on time.