Skip to content

Programs : Brochure

This page is the brochure for your selected program. You can view the provided information for this program on this page and click on the available buttons for additional options.
Fact Sheet:
Class Standing: 2-Sophomore, 3-Junior, 4-Senior Language of Instruction: English
Minimum GPA: 2.50 Field of Study: Criminal Justice, Psychology, Social Sciences, Social Work, Sociology
Housing Options: Residence Hall Credit Type: Resident Credit
Program Type: SDSU Exchange SDSU Office: 1-Study Abroad (ISC)
Program Description:
City University, Hong Kong

University Profile
CityU is a public university located in Kowloon Tong, Hong Kong. CityU has risen 15 places to 95th in the 2012 world university rankings published by Quacquarelli Symonds (QS). CityU emphasizes innovative problem-driven research and the connection between knowledge and society. Teachers at CityU are recruited from around the world, each an expert in their profession. Through its extensive links with relevant industries, CityU provides real-life opportunities for students to work with and learn from professionals in the workplace, from bachelor degrees and postgraduate studies to associate degrees and continuing education.
Academic Notes
The agreement between SDSU and City University of Hong Kong only allows students to take classes within the Department of Applied Social Studies. Divisions in the Department of Applied Social Studies at CityU include Social Work, Applied Sociology, Criminology, and Psychology

For a listing of courses in the Department of Applied and Social Studies (SS) please visit the Course Information website, making sure to only look at the class lists for this department.

All SDSU students must enroll in the equivalent of at least 12 semester units at their host university to be considered full-time while studying abroad. 

Language Notes
Unless otherwise noted, the medium of instruction and assessment at the university is English.
Program Dates
The general program dates are:
Fall semester: Early September - late December
Spring semester: Mid-January - late May 
Housing and Meals
There are an increasing number of inbound exchange students to City University of Hong Kong each academic year, so they cannot guarantee all inbound exchange students a spot in the on-campus student residences. Some students may have to search off-campus accommodation by themselves.

For more information about on-campus housing, visit the Student Residence Office website and the Exchange Housing FAQ website. 

To apply for on-campus housing, you complete the regular application process, however, for particular information about the housing portion of the application, visit the Apply for Housing website of the Student Residence Office (SRO).

Students who are not offered a place of in-campus student residences or prefer living away from campus are strongly advised to arrive in Hong Kong at leastCity University, Hong Kong two or three weeks before the semester begins in order to secure off-campus private accommodation. If students choose to do so, they are reminded that they have to arrange temporary accommodation on their own before suitable private accommodation is secured. Please browse the Off-Campus Accommodations website of Student Residence Office (SRO).

Insurance Requirement
All SDSU students are required by the Chancellor's office to be enrolled in the CSU Foreign Traveler Insurance Program (CSU FTIP) for their program abroad. The insurance charge will appear on the student's account services billing. Students will receive more detailed instructions regarding insurance before departure. For more information on costs, refer to the website.

Passport and Visa
You must have a valid passport to participate on an exchange program. Your passport must be valid for the duration of the program and for at least 6 months past the program end date to be eligible to receive a student visa. If you hold a passport from a country other than the U.S., be sure to understand what you will need for entry pertaining to your citizenship at the time of participation.

Students participating in this exchange program are required to get a student visa in order to enter the country. However, students cannot apply for a visa until they are formally admitted to the exchange program and have been issued a formal acceptance letter by the host institution. For more information about CityU's requirements, visit their Student Visa/Entry Permit website. General information about entry/exit requirements for Hong Kong can be found on the U.S. Department of State website. 

Dates / Deadlines:
Dates / Deadlines:
Term Year App Deadline Decision Date Start Date End Date
Fall 2019 02/20/2019 03/15/2019 TBA TBA
Academic Year 2019-2020 02/20/2019 03/15/2019 TBA TBA