Marketing in Barcelona
May 22-June 30, 2018
June 16-30, 2018
*Students will need to do coursework online prior to the dates abroad
This study abroad course will examine marketing as a business activity, field of employment, and social institution. It will compare the marketing dynamics of two metropolitan areas, San Diego and Barcelona, as a mechanism to develop a richer understanding of marketing, consumer, and cultures.
Marketing is dynamic, pervasive and exciting. It focuses on understanding consumers, advocating for them, and developing loyal relationships with them. It steers innovation, strategy, revenue generation, profitability and, ultimately, drives economic development and corporate performance. It can also have a positive social impact if pursued in an ethical and socially responsible manner.
The class will be entirely online except for two weeks while we are abroad. During the course time abroad we will have class meetings with in-class activities, case analyses and field trips in Barcelona that will require your attendance and participation in order to receive full credit. As part of the course, we will have the opportunity to visit a number of businesses in Barcelona in order to learn more about how businesses operate in Spain.
All participants are required to register in the following SDSU course, offered through the College of Extended Studies (CES):
- MKTG 370: Marketing (3 units)
PROGRAM FEE, REFUND POLICY, AND FUNDING INFORMATION
- Company visits
- Guided tour of Barcelona Historic City Center
- Group dinner in an authentic Catalan farmhouse
- Day trip to Montserrat
- Roca Village
- Barca Experience
- Farewell Party
$899 Deposit due to CES with application
$900 Second program payment due to CES by April 2, 2018
$1,095 Tuition due with course registration between April 15-25, 2018
$2,894 Total Program Fee
Included in Program Fee:
- Activities as listed above
- Daily breakfast
- Medical and repatriation insurance
Not Included in Program Fee:
- Round trip airfare
- Airport pickup and dropoff
- Passport/visa fees
- Lunch and dinner
Program Costs Refund:
- The application deposit is non-refundable for withdrawals after March 15, 2018*
- For the second payment, no refunds will be issued for withdrawals after April 2, 2018
Course Tuition Refund:
Refunds for course tuition follow the College of Extended Studies (CES) standard refund policy
* The withdrawal date is the date that the CES Faculty-Led Program staff receive written notification of withdrawal from the student. Email notification is acceptable
Funding & Scholarship Information:
Visit the CES Study Abroad
website for more information about financial aid, scholarships, military and veterans benefits, and other funding sources.
PREREQUISITES AND ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
- Open to all approved upper division business majors or minors in the College of Business Administration. For all other students, please email Professor Gary Grudnitski, Director of Undergraduate Programs, with your name, red id and reason for choosing the program.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0
- SDSU students cannot be on academic probation (less than 2.0 GPA) or disciplinary probation (expulsion, judicial, or suspension) at the time of application and/or at the time of course registration. The standard CES refund policy for study abroad applies if you are found to be on probation after applying to the program.
- Minimum age to participate is 18
- After applying and being accepted into the program, all participants must complete BOTH a mandatory pre-departure orientation sponsored by the College of Extended Studies (CES) as well as a program-specific orientation(s) with their faculty leader(s) prior to departure. Details about both will be sent after acceptance into the program.
Summer 2018: Application not currently available
FOR MORE INFORMATION
This application will open early 2018. Please add your name to the inquiry list below so we can notify you when it is available.
- Click HERE for a list of Frequently Asked Questions about College of Extended Studies (CES) study abroad programs.
- If you would like more information about the application and registration process or have general questions, please contact Amanda Chamberlain, Study Abroad Advisor, in the College of Extended Studies, Faculty-Led Study Abroad office: firstname.lastname@example.org, (619) 594-0540.