INTERNATIONAL VOLUNTEER HQ
Based in New Zealand, International Volunteer HQ (IVHQ) is a volunteer travel company focused on providing affordable volunteer travel experiences that are high quality, safe, and responsible. Established in July 2007, IVHQ has grown to become the world's leading volunteer travel company, working in 30+ countries around the world and placing thousands of volunteers abroad every year.
IVHQ aims to increase education and heighten global awareness and understanding through the skills and expertise taken by volunteers to their host communities, and through the experiences and lessons that volunteers take back to their own countries and cultures.
PROGRAM & ACADEMIC NOTES
This program and academic credit process was organized in order to provide CHHS students with access to an affordable option to fulfill their international experience requirement. If you are not in a major under the CHHS, you may need to work with your department to see if they can arrange a credit option following the program completion. This would need to be arranged in advance, prior to participation in the program. The notes below are requirements and/or guidelines for students with a major under the CHHS umbrella.
CHHS General Information
- Winter 2018/2019 Program Opportunities For CHHS Students can be found here: IVHQ Winter 2018-2019.pdf
- All SDSU majors may earn credit through our College, if they follow the guidelines outlined below. If you are a major outside of the CHHS, please check with your international coordinator or academic advisor to ensure this credit will fulfill your international experience graduation requirement.
Here are the details required of CHHS students to participate in an IVHQ program and fulfill their CHHS International Experience Graduation Requirement:
CHHS Steps to Participate
Step 1: Complete the Independent Program Agreement in order to earn academic credit (3-units or 1-unit)
- Students are REQUIRED to participate in a program related to Health & Human Services. Wildlife and Animal Care projects are not approved. If you are unsure if a project is approved, email firstname.lastname@example.org for confirmation.
- Students are REQUIRED to complete a program for a minimum of 2 weeks (longer projects are encouraged!!)
- Students MUST be in the host country for a minimum of 14 days (or longer, depending on program). Proof will be submitted to the CHHS Dean's office prior to departure.
- CHHS students wishing to fulfill their International Experience Graduation Requirement MUST earn academic credit in conjunction with these programs. More details about earning academic credit can be found HERE.
- For-credit placements must be approved through the CHHS International Coordinator and may be limited to a fixed number for each term: Summer or Winter Break only. Email email@example.com for more details.
Step 2: Apply through Aztecs Abroad (this page) when application opens
- For Winter Break 2018/2019 Participants ONLY:
- Please note that students are GUARANTEED to get a spot in the HHS course they select, so it is not necessary to register exactly during your registration time.
Step 3: Apply through the independent program, such as International Volunteer HQ (IVHQ), AIESEC, or ISA, directly.
- Summer Application deadline: March 15
- Winter Application deadline: October 15
Failure to complete any of the three steps listed above, before the deadline, may result in your ineligibility to participate in the program and/or result in your ineligibility to earn credit for the program and fulfill the CHHS International Experience Graduation Requirement.
- Independent program deadlines vary by organization and destination.
All international destinations listed on the IVHQ website are approved. However, those with a current travel warning as listed on the U.S. Department of State website will need to be evaluated by the Study Abroad Office for clearance. Check https://travel.state.gov
for country-specific travel warnings.
complete the preliminary application in Aztecs Abroad FIRST
before submitting the IVHQ external online application.
IVHQ application deadlines vary by destination.
FINANCES & FUNDRAISING:
- Summer: March 15
- Winter: October 15
IVHQ has great resources on fundraising ideas
and a guide for volunteering abroad for college students
that they've shared with those who expressed interest IVHQ scholarships to keep them connected and engaged with the concept of volunteering abroad. Search for IVHQ scholarships
on their site.
International Volunteer HQ (IVHQ) Medical Volunteer Abroad Scholarship:
Enhances medical students and professionals perspectives of global health, while providing vital support to underserved communities around the world. Scholarship includes a 2-week medical volunteer abroad project with IVHQ in the destination of your choice, a flight voucher (to the value of US$1000), a 2-week travel insurance policy, and the ‘Certificate in International Volunteering’ online course.
Deadline to apply: May 23rd, 2018 at 7pm
"As cheesy as it sounds, when you do a program like this, you think you're doing it to help others-which you are-but you really end up helping yourself and growing in ways you never even thought possible. I am forever in debt to IVHQ, my first experience with them was in 2014 in Peru, and it just opened so many doors that I didn't realize were closed. Hence the reason I did IVHQ again in Mexico! And it won't be the last either!" - SDSU IVHQ Participant