INTERNATIONAL VOLUNTEER HQ
Based in New Zealand, International Volunteer HQ (IVHQ) is a volunteer travel company focused on providing affordable volunteer travel experiences that are high quality, safe, and responsible. Established in July 2007, IVHQ has grown to become the world's leading volunteer travel company, working in 30+ countries around the world and placing thousands of volunteers abroad every year.
IVHQ aims to increase education and heighten global awareness and understanding through the skills and expertise taken by volunteers to their host communities, and through the experiences and lessons that volunteers take back to their own countries and cultures.
PROGRAM & ACADEMIC NOTES
This program and academic credit process was organized in order to provide CHHS students with access to an affordable option to fulfill their international experience requirement. If you are not in a major under the CHHS, you may need to work with your department to see if they can arrange a credit option following the program completion. This would need to be arranged in advance, prior to participation in the program. The notes below are requirements and/or guidelines for students with a major under the CHHS umbrella.
Winter 2017/2018 Program Opportunities For CHHS Students can be found here: IVHQ Winter 2017-2018 Program Options.pdf
Here are the steps required of CHHS students to participate in an IVHQ program and fulfill their international experience requirement:
Note: CHHS students wishing to fulfill their International Experience Graduation Requirement MUST earn academic credit in conjunction with these programs. For-credit placements must be approved through the CHHS International Coordinator and may be limited to a fixed number for each term: Summer or Winter Break only. Email email@example.com for more details.
- Students are REQUIRED to participate in a program related to Health & Human Services. An essay will be submitted as part of the approval process.
- Apply through Aztecs Abroad FIRST. March 15 is the deadline to apply for summer break,October 15 is the deadline for winter break. Space is limited, so apply early!
- Students are REQUIRED to complete a program for a minimum of 2 weeks and be in the host country for a minimum of 14 days. **NOTE: This CANNOT include extended in-country orientations. Bali - Ubud, Fiji, Philippines, Vietnam, Laos and Sri Lanka require a 3 week commitment and certain countries have an optional orientation that will not be considered in the minimum 2 week volunteer requirement (including, but not limited to, India - Delhi, Romania).
- Students MUST be in the host country for a minimum of 14 days (proof will be submitted to the CHHS Dean's office prior to departure). Students must be in Bali and Fiji for a longer period of time due to the 3-week volunteer commitment.
- Students MUST work with CHHS International Coordinator to earn academic credit.
All international destinations listed on the IVHQ website are approved. However, those with a current travel warning as listed on the U.S. Department of State website will need to be evaluated by the Study Abroad Office for clearance. Check https://travel.state.gov
for country-specific travel warnings.
complete the preliminary application in Aztecs Abroad FIRST
before submitting the IVHQ external online application.
IVHQ application deadlines vary by destination.
FINANCES & FUNDRAISING:
- Summer: March 15
- Winter: October 15
IVHQ has great resources on fundraising ideas
and a guide for volunteering abroad for college students
that they've shared with those who expressed interest IVHQ scholarships to keep them connected and engaged with the concept of volunteering abroad. Search for IVHQ scholarships
on their site.